Thursday, June 7, 2012

29 Weeks

Here’s what Baby Amundson is up to this week: “Your baby now weighs about 2 1/2 pounds (like a butternut squash) and is a tad over 15 inches long from head to heel. His muscles and lungs are continuing to mature, and his head is growing bigger to make room for his developing brain.” (Source) Basically, Baby is working on getting big. And I can tell.
 Baby’s energy is surging, thanks to the formation of white fat deposits beneath the skin. (Have those kicks and jabs to the ribs tipped you off yet?) Baby is also settling into sleep and waking cycles, though — as you’ve also probably noticed — they don’t necessarily coincide with your own. Also this month, all five senses are finally functional, and the brain and nervous system are going through major developments.

How far along? 29 Weeks
Total weight gain: 29 lbs gained
Maternity clothes? Basically all maternity now, although I’m still squeezing in my normal workout gear.
Stretch marks? Doing well in this department
Sleep:
Still sleeping great
Best moment this week: Feeling like the nursery is close to being complete, the construction part that is.  We live in an old house and the room we are using for the nursery had a lot of damage from the previous owners.  Luckily, we have a good friend who fixed the room up better than new!

Miss Anything?
Being able to lay on my back and walking upstairs without getting winded.
Movement: Lots of movement still, although I'd imagine she's going to start getting pretty cramped in there

Food cravings:
Fried rice (which I made last night and it did the trick), along with sweets of any kind.
Anything making you queasy or sick: Nothing new, still not eating much meat if any.  I’m getting protein from Greek yogurt and other things.
Gender: Girl
Labor Signs: No
Symptoms:
Heartburn, a little swelling in my calves and hands and non-stop pressure in my ribs. I have to say that I’m lucky my back/pelvic pain has gone away…knock on wood.
Belly Button in or out? Still flat
Wedding rings on or off? Off most the time, which makes me sad.
Happy or Moody most of the time: Happy!
Looking forward to: Putting the crib together, washing all of her clothes and just getting everything prepared.

The Do’s and Don’ts of Talking to a Pregnant Woman

Do:
·         Tell her she is glowing.
·         Ask her about something other than pregnancy and baby.
·         Reassure her that she will be a great mom.
·         Tell her that even though she’ll be tired, every moment with that sweet baby is worth it.
·         Tell her your positive labor and delivery stories.
·         Give advice when asked.
·         Ask before touching her belly.

Don’t:
·         Tell her that her face, arm, legs, etc. look puffy.
·         Scoff or tell her she’s crazy when she says her goal is a natural, unmedicated birth then launch into horrid birth stories and the joys of an epidural.
·         Say, “Oh you’re tired now, just wait.” We know babies wake in the middle of the night. Since we’re up 5 times a night anyway, it’s not going to be a super huge leap to make.
·         Say “Wow, you have X weeks left! I would have thought you were due next week.”
·         Comment on how she should be home resting instead of getting some exercise.
·         Give unsolicited advice or opinions. What’s right for you doesn’t mean its right for everyone.
·         Touch her belly without permission.
·         Say “You’re body will never be the same.”
·         Say “When I was pregnant I only gained 10lbs.” Ok well good for you. My body needs to gain more than that.

Do you have anything else to add to either list?

2 comments:

  1. You look so small for 29 Weeks!! I bet your so excited to get close to meeting your little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thank you! I'm so excited. I dream about her almost every night. :)

    ReplyDelete