Tuesday, February 21, 2012

14 weeks and Combined Screen Results



Today has been pretty amazing for me in pregnancy land. I just got the best call from my Dr. saying that my combined screen results were excellent, better than the average. My chances for down syndrome are 1 in 7,000. The average for my age is 1 in 1,000 so I'm very pleased about this. My results for trisomy 13 were also VERY low, 1 in 15,000 I believe. I've been worried sick for the past week about these results. Also, my thyroid levels are perfect. I take medicine to regulate my thyroid and sometimes your levels can change after becoming pregnant.



According to TheBump.com, Continuing the march towards normal proportions, baby’s legs now out measure the arms. And, finally, all four limbs have functional joints. Your fetus is squirming and wiggling like crazy down in the womb, though you probably still can’t feel the movements.

And, according to BabyCenter.com, Your growing baby now measures about 4 inches long, crown to rump, and weighs in at about 2 1/2 ounces (about the size of an apple). She’s busy moving amniotic fluid through her nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps the primitive air sacs in her lungs begin to develop. Her legs are growing longer than her arms now, and she can move all of her joints and limbs. Although her eyelids are still fused shut, she can sense light. If you shine a flashlight at your tummy, for instance, she’s likely to move away from the beam. There’s not much for your baby to taste at this point, but she is forming taste buds. Finally, if you have an ultrasound this week, you may be able to find out whether your baby’s a boy or a girl! (Don’t be too disappointed if it remains a mystery, though. Nailing down your baby’s sex depends on the clarity of the picture and on your baby’s position. He or she may be modestly curled up or turned in such a way as to “hide the goods.”)

How far along? 14 Weeks
Total weight gain/loss: 5-6 lbs

Maternity clothes?
Bought a few things, but not wearing any yet
Stretch marks? No
Sleep: Sleeping better than last week. I still continue to wake up on my back no matter what position I fall asleep in.

Best moment this week: Hearing my excellent combined screen results and having an amazing lunch with my best friend and seeing the Vow. I'm shocked that I didn't cry during the movie, even with my crazy hormones.
Have you told family and friends:
Yes!
Miss Anything? Wine & Fish. I really missed wine at the wedding we attended over the weekend. I asked my hubby to smell his glass so I could dream about having a sip. :) Also, I NEVER crave fish and all of a sudden, I want tuna and all sorts of fish.

Movement:
I swear I felt something this week!! A few different times I felt a fish-swimming-in-my-belly feeling that made me very aware of my stomach. Potentially my imagination.
Food cravings: Slurpee’s. I ALMOST got one yesterday but it was freezing outside and I didn't need the sugar.

Anything making you queasy or sick: Meat and Chipotle, which makes me sad. I love Chipotle and now just the smell or thought makes me sick.
Have you started to show yet:
Looking chubby for sure but not one person has noticed a bump.
Gender prediction: I keep dreaming that it's a boy but with the recent breakouts I've been getting, it's making me think it could be a girl.

Labor Signs:
No
Belly Button in or out? In
Wedding rings on or off? On
Happy or Moody most of the time: Happy!
Looking forward to: Finding out the gender& feeling the baby move!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful news about your test results!

    You're right - we're built a lot alike. Around 17 weeks I started popping a little more, but it was seriously mid-20s before anyone who didn't know me would dare ask if I was pregnant. NO worries - you'll have a huge bump soon enough!

    It's not bad to fall asleep on your back, especially this early in pregnancy. Later it can be dangerous IF the baby is compressing the vena cava, but you'll wake up nauseous and/or dizzy if that happens (according to my midwife). Only like 1 in 5 pregnant people ever even experience that, just FYI! Plus, once you have a huge belly, you probably won't want to sleep on your back anyway b/c it's harder to breath. Do you have a Snoogle pillow?? I found cuddling with that and having ti propping me up from front and behind helped to keep me on my side. I also slept a TON better! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D7E2XI/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

    Also, watch the mercury in fish, but having tuna once in a while is okay, and having Salmon once a week is great for you (and baby!). http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy-and-fish/PR00158

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean I have to wait another 6 weeks before anyone notices I'm pregnant? haha My husband is convinced that I will be one of those pregnant ladies that can hide it, I really doubt that. ;)

    Thank you so much for the information, that helps a lot. I don't have a Snoogle pillow yet, but I think I will get one this weekend. I feel so much better about waking up on my back now, what a relief. :)

    ReplyDelete